The most precious thing in this whole world is TIME. Our quality of life depends on how we spend our time, and whom we spend it with. We all have the same 24 hours a day. However, with the same amount of hours in hand, 20% of people get more things done than the rest 80%. Do you wonder why? Well, they manage their time effectively.
In this post, you will get the 10 best time management tips to help you manage your time effectively and get the best out of your 24 hrs in 2023
Plan your day in advance
Plan your next day night before, like what are the important tasks to be worked on tomorrow, and list out those tasks on paper.
How will this help?
- You will have a rough outline of what is to be done the next day.
- The next day, in the morning productive hours, you don’t have to waste time thinking about what is to be done.
- Tasks to be done listed the night before, let you sleep over the tasks and this lets your subconscious mind work on them while you are sleeping. The next day you will wake up with the best possible ideas and solutions for the task to be done.
Once you have tasks listed on paper, then set priorities for those tasks, so that you won’t end up working on the least priority task first.
If the task is big enough then break it down further into small tasks.
Time-bound each task to have a rough completion idea of it.
Create a task list
As mentioned in the earlier point, have a proper task list of the tasks that have to be completed in a day. This will help you in many ways:
- You are aware of the things to be done, so don’t have to waste time thinking about what to do next.
- You can prioritize your tasks well.
- This way, if any new task request comes to you, you will be in a better position to understand how to include it in your schedule. Maybe you can delegate the task, re-schedule the task or if required then say NO to that task as well. With a task list in hand, you won’t end up taking random requests and will be saved from working on not-so-priority(at least for you) things.
- On completion of tasks, you can tick off that from the list. This will give you a sense of positivity and energize you for the next task. As well as you will have a clear road map of how much work is done and how much is pending.
Establish a Routine/Schedule
This may sound boring to many but will work as a great time management hack.
In this, you can decide
- when you wake up,
- what should be the priority things in the first hours of waking up,
- when you get to work,
- how many hours you will work before the first break, and
- how much time duration of the break
- what kind of work you will address in the first work slot, what will go in the second time slot…and so on…
With a routine in hand, you don’t have to waste your time thinking about what needs to be done next.
Why routine is helpful?
When things are going well, at that time you are motivated enough to work on your priorities.
However, when things are not going well in a day and you are least motivated to work, at that time routine come to your rescue.
With a routine in hand, you will be working on tasks subconsciously, as per your routine, irrespective of your bad or good mood.
Things will get done in spite of you feeling like not working on a task.
Might have a higher possibility of leaving the task undone if not have a routine in place.
So make a routine/schedule for yourself and stick to it daily.
Take regular breaks throughout the day
After some hours of focused work, the mind needs a break to help stay focused and energized again.
Taking a break from work hours can also help you to get a different perspective on the problem you are working on at the moment.
So when you are back to work from a break, you are ready to fix the problem with double energy.
So taking a break at regular intervals is very important.
You can also use the POMODORO technique for that.
Ask for help
Whenever stuck in something don’t shy from asking for help.
This will save you a good amount of time from trial and error, that too eventually you have to ask the help from others.
Use Time Pockets Well
In a day you get many small time chunks(time pockets) that you might be wasting on your phone or on randomly doing things.
If you better use these time pockets, you will be able to achieve a lot more in your day.
Pro-Tip: Now when you get a small time pocket, look in your task list and find out which task best fit to be done in this small duration.
Make sure you’re organized
Have everything with you that you are going to need in the task before you start a task. So you don’t have to waste time searching for required things.
Create a comfortable workspace for yourself and never work while laying in bed or any other place other than your workplace (if you are working from home or doing freelancing work from home).
A proper workspace setup can help you focus better and whenever you sit there for work, your mind gets alert that it is work time, and automatically you start being focused on your work and won’t feel like wasting your time.
Don’t work in pajamas but dress in proper attire while you work(If you are working from home, or a freelancer). This way your subconscious mind gets alert that its a work time. It will help you focus fast and better, and can save you from wondering while you work.
Reduce decision making
Plan your clothes to be worn the next day in advance.
This way you will be saved from the decision-making in the morning productive hours.
This will save you time and energy during your peak working hours.
You can also pre-plan your meal in advance thus reducing decision-making to save time and energy.
Limit your distraction by switching OFF the internet
Try to limit distractions from your phone, social media, and other people while focusing on completing tasks efficiently.
I can tell you WHY?
When you get any notification, in your mind there is a rush of one chemical i.e. Dopamine.
It can make you feel good for a while, but the constant release of dopamine makes you exhausted and take your energy.
You will feel exhausted without working much.
Also, it will take some time for your mind to get focused back on the main task.
How can you fix this problem?
You can keep your phone on DO NOT DISTURB mode or SWITCH OFF the internet for 2 hrs duration.
Then check your phone for these notifications and again go on DND mode or SWITCH OFF.
This way you will save a lot of time and energy on those notifications and can work with proper focus.
Bonus Tip on Time Management: Log your task activity
Once every two months, you must write an activity log for two or three days.
This may sound boring and tedious task but will defiantly change your time management game.
What is to be done in this?
- Log each and every activity you do for 2 or 3 days
- Then analyze all those logs and find out where you are actually spending your time
- After analyzing you can delegate tasks that others can help you with, or reschedule some tasks so that you can do productive use of your time.
Your task list may look like this:
- 6:00 am to 6:30 am exercise
- 6:30 am to 6:45 am mediation
- 6:45 am to 7:00 am bath
- 7:00 am to 7:30 am prepare and had to breakfast
- 7:30 am to 8:00 am reading
- 8:00 am to 8:30 am Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp check
You might be thinking, Why do you need this exercise?
To manage the time better, first, you need to understand where is it being spent.
This activity can help you understand better where your time is being spent. You can do this activity once in 2 months for 2 to 3 days to keep on track.
I have done this logging activity myself and it helped tapped into 2 quality work hours.
Hope these time management tips are helpful. If you like this post then do subscribe to this blog to get notifications of such posts straight to your inbox.